Monday, May 23, 2011

The Little Ones

All my life (well, somewhat part of it), I always knew that I wanted to be a psychologist. As I grew up, I narrowed my options and decided to pursue my Masters in Child Psychology but one day a substitute teacher came into class and told us about other career options and I was really drawn towards the idea of being a speech therapist.

A speech therapist helps people to recover from an injury to parts of the body where voice is being projected. It involves the throat, voice box etc. Being a speech therapist, I would mostly be attending to clients who lost total or partial ability to speak through accidents, people with stuttering problems and also children who have undergone cleft lip surgery.

A child psychologist deals with children with autism, ADD, ADHD, dyslexia and so on. To me, there is no better patients to work with than children because they are the ones who have done the least wrong and always see the good in people. Children are pure in thought and actions despite their conditions and that is why they deserve to be helped to live their lives in the best possible way.

Going back to Child Psychology, one of the reasons I chose Child Psychology was because I was worried that if I chose Clinical Psychology, patients may attack me and stab me to death! I know my imagination may have gone a little wild but I stick to my reasons hence I decided that going into Child Psychology may be a safer option.

Being greeted with a smile feels good but being greeted with a smile from a kid feels a gazillion times better. I cannot really explain how it actually makes me feel better but it does. Other than that, the hugs from them are the next best thing! Knowing that I am loved, remembered and wanted enriches my life and makes me love them even more.

Everything sounds really rosy and perfect at the moment but the reality is that there will always be a few of the mischievous ones. Girls are always the easier ones and boys are the challenging ones. To get them to listen to what you have or even getting them to sit still for 15 minutes is tiring enough. Sometimes the way they speak renders me speechless, I simply do not know what to answer. Nevertheless, when they are nice to you or when they decide to lend a helping hand, they can really be a role model to the younger boys.

After all these years of observing and being involved with children, I learnt that a given responsibility will make one more responsible (this applies to kids too!). This is my passion and I love what I am and will be doing for the forseeable future.





This is the bunch of kiddies that never fail to make my Sunday.

Have I mentioned how awesome hugs from kids are?

They are too adorable to not be LOVED.

Children make you want to start life over. ~Muhammad Ali
Well said!

No comments:

Post a Comment