Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Magic and Life



In truth, the only restrictions on our capacity to astonish ourselves and each other are imposed by our own minds.

David Blaine.

What is Magic? A question that holds many different answers. To me, the power of magic is not in trick we think we see, but it’s the act itself...the image the magician creates, the way it makes us feel, that certain sense of childlike wonder. When the magician provokes us into wonder when he demonstrates the impossible, we ask ourselves...Why? The answer is...it’s all magic. The main concept of magic is basically “making the impossible possible”. This saying is clearly portrayed by many different individuals throughout the years. Such famous magicians like Houdini, David Copperfield and David Blaine all are such unique individuals who have mastered the art and caused countless people to question reality.

Magic comes in many different forms, whether or not it is in the form of playing cards or in the form of illusions. However, no matter different forms that come with magic, it all leads to one thing which is Amazement. Many people may question how such magic tricks and stunts are done, but what most people do not understand is the psychology behind the magic. As a young magician, I was first introduced to the art at a young age whereby magic was considered to be a way to impress people. Only through time I begin to fully understand the true meaning of magic, which is trying to achieve something that is not natural or humanly possible. Such tricks like making a coin disappear or identifying a card in a shuffled deck are some of the many tricks that I’ve learned to do. Till this day, by performing such tricks I’m still able to receive a sense of amusement from my audience. As time went on, I soon discovered a way to place the psychology of magic into my day to day life. For instance, if I can make a coin disappear, I should be able to achieve well in university studies. It soon became clear to me, that nothing is impossible in life. This new concept basically changed my whole view on life and gave a boost in my confidence to work hard to achieve something. This fairly similar to magic in the sense that, in order to learn a new sleight one will work hard and practice every day. Same goes to life, if you want something you would probably work hard to achieve it. This is what I feel about magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment